9 – The Church of Santa Chiara
Listen to the audio guide

Point your phone camera on the QR Code
In accordance with the new Baroque sensibility, which identified surprise effect and dynamism as essential features of the fruition of urban and architectural space, the Church of Santa Chiara gradually reveals itself to the visitor. It is accessed through an 18th century gateway at the top of a short flight of steps, which leads to a characteristic paved courtyard, overlooked by the 18th century entrances to the former Monastery of Santa Chiara and the front of the church that was rebuilt in 1711 by Pietro Fantoni from Bergamo.
The portal is embellished by a gable with curved profile, interrupted in the middle to accommodate an elliptical stone medallion. The wooden wings of the entrance door, dating back to 1671, are on display inside the church after recent restoration. On the right side of the sacred building, stands the bell tower with square plan. The 18th century renovation carried out by Fantoni merely gave the building a new look, without altering its volumetry he re-proposed the simple hall plan of the original church with a measured alternation of full and empty spaces. Despite the conservative choice on the structures, the interior space was transformed thanks to the elevation of the presbytery area with the insertion of an elliptical dome with lowered profile, and also with the creation, on the perimeter walls, of two niches on each side that housed the minor altars.
The interior, which was restored to its original splendour after a period of neglect, presents one of the highest and most significant examples of Sulmonese Baroque, in which stucco and gold are lavished with elegance and refined taste, enhanced by skilful lighting that allows its ancient beauty to be perceived and appreciated. A number of good paintings are preserved here, including a Glory of Santa Chiara by Sebastiano Conca and an oval depicting the Marriage of the Virgin by Alessandro Salini from Sulmona. Also valuable are the altars and altar frontals in opus sectile marble by the Pescocostanzo school.
The front of the mensa of the second altar on the right bears a stone plaque with an inscription saying that here lies the body of Blessed Floresella, who in 1260 founded the Monastery of Santa Chiara and donated her dowry.











